Natural Awakenings Editorial Style Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in submitting news items and articles to Natural Awakenings, a healthy living, healthy planet magazine serving our local holistic community. Our collective mission with this free monthly magazine is to educate readers about the latest in natural living and green living.
Each month, we share pertinent global news and interviews with national experts. We welcome ideas for stories as well as local article submissions, some of which may qualify for one of our departments: Conscious Eating; Fit Body; Green Living; Healing Ways; Natural Pet; Healthy Kids; and Creative Expression.
Articles are between 500 – 1,000 words, News Briefs between 50 – 250. Pictures may be submitted, and must be in camera ready format.
General NA writing guidelines
- Establish a strong lead paragraph and compelling close.
- Remember the five Ws: who, what, where, when and why.
- Write in third-person objective news style for most pieces (people/participants/patients).
- Avoid the less formal ‘you’. Use we/our/us, or third person (preferred).
- Use a clear, logical order for content. (Samples at NaturalAwakeningsMag.com.)
- Use action verbs (E.g., ABC offers; not ABC is offering).
- Use plain language and briefly define technical terms.
- Keep sentences and paragraphs short.
- Include short anecdotes or case studies to illustrate key points–then expand your focus to a wider context.
- Use strong, genuine quotes to aid in reader identification.
- Add credibility with scientific studies, statistics and updates on trends.
What we want
- We focus on hope, healing, practical tips and benefits. Every reader wants to know how they can personally use and benefit from information in their life journey.
- Attribute all medical or health claims and scientific study results; cite credible, authoritative sources. List additional resources in an endnote.
What we won’t publish
- Depressing lists of symptoms and technical details of treatment.
- Extended, first-person (me/I) accounts of life journeys.
- Marketing or sales copy heavy on self-promotion.
- If your article has been published elsewhere, we are probably not interested.
- We may not publish your piece immediately, and cannot guarantee to later.
- Your original work will be edited to fit our magazine’s style. If you wish to review edits to your submission, send it at least seven days before deadline, and be accessible.
- News briefs and articles the magazine originates are not subject to copy review. We’ll call to check facts as needed.
- Footnote all sources cited in detail: Books and magazines need title, author, publisher, year and page number. Individuals need name, title, organization, phone, email, city and company website. We won’t publish most of this, but it saves hours in fact checking.