STEPS FOR YOUR BEST ZUMBA CLASS EVER
Get the right clothing and footwear. Any class is going to be difficult if you're not adequately prepared for it. To sidestep this easily side-steppable hurdle, wear the right clothes! You will heat up quickly, so go for light clothing, or layers that you can shed at will. Do know that it's all about style, though -- some students will be in Spandex and some will be in baggy sweats. There's no right or wrong!
- And when it comes to footwear, aim for an exercise shoe that has minimal tread. If it has too much tread, you won't be able to float and pivot like you want. For the record, it's worth investing in some dance sneakers if you do decide to stick to it, they are designed for the side to side movements of Zumba. They can be found online for about $30.00 or plenty of styles are available at zumba.com + you'll get a 10% discount on your order by entering 'Tranzend' in the Affiliate Code box at check out.
- Grab one of those unbreakable water bottles from your cabinet (we know you have dozens, just like we do) and fill it up with water, you'll need it during class..
Don't expect your standard fitness class. Most fitness classes have a serious structure to them. The instructor stands at the front and talks at you for pretty much the entire hour. In short, this isn't that. There's a reason they ask you if you want to "join the party" when you start. It's the only workout you'll find where the hour flies by and you'll forget you're not at the club (or home in your underwear).
- Many feel that it's a way of life. Some even say Zumba-ers make for better friends. In your class, you become friends who hang out, party, and dance together. There's an air about it that you won't find elsewhere. It'll suck you in!
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR MOVES
Dance! Alright, so after all this talk, what is it anyway? Well, it's a whole bunch of things. Some of the styles in Zumba, like salsa for instance, are fused with hip hop. Add in some merengue and cha-cha steps and you've got the idea. Let's not forget the aerobic aspect either! You'll be shedding the pounds shaking your booty, doing the mambo, and swiveling with the best of 'em.
- No, you don't have to be a dancer. Remember how Zumba is for everyone? If you're taking a class, just let your instructor know you're new to this thing, and they can give you the rundown. Be sure you can see their entire body, though -- don't hide in the back!
- There is no pressure to be super fit. You just do what you can when you can. All the moves are of such a nature that you put as much effort into it as you want to. If your fitness level isn't great, then you just take it slower!
Give it a few tries. The first class you take may actually be difficult. You may feel like you're overwhelmed and you can't keep up with the moves and you just really don't have any idea what's going on. But by the second class, you'll remember things. You'll pick up on your favorites. And by the third, you'll leave asking for more. So give it at least 3 tries. Everything takes time to learn and get good at. The more you do it, the more you'll enjoy it! Want to give it a try from home before you come to class? Check this out
Let loose. To get the most out of Zumba, you gotta let loose. You gotta channel your inner child and dance like no one's watching. Not that cheesy proverbial crap, but literally dance like no one is watching ('cuz really they're not, they're watching the instructor, just like you). Who cares if you're shaking it to the left when everyone else is shaking it to the right? No one, that's who. If you let loose and enjoy yourself, you're doing it right.
- If you're tentative about your moves, you won't get the workout you're meant to get. If you keep your feet toeing the line (more literal talk here) and your arms at your sides, you won't have fun, you won't sweat, and you probably won't come back. So go for it!
Use your arms! This is the easiest way to get more out of your Zumba workout. It's tempting to be a little reserved, to let your legs do the brunt of the work, but throw your arms in there, too! Those Latin dancers look so good because while their feet are moving, they make sure the movement is seen through their entire bodies -- even down the lengths of their arms. You wanna look like them, right?!
- When in doubt, just hold them strong. You don't have to flail them around like a madman or a six-year-old, but do hold them out from your sides, strong and sassy-like. Half the fun of Zumba is the attitude!
Move up and down more. There are squats, lunges, and some straight-up workout moves in Zumba. Then there are the natural levels of the dances, when your instructor has you working closer to the floor and working your way up. When this is part of your choreography, go all out. The more up and down you move, the better a workout you'll get. And the more you'll feel it in the morning! You know, the burn and the sense of accomplishment.
Shake that booty. If you've got it, flaunt it, right? So shake away. The entire room is pretending like they're Shakira, so join in! The only wrong way to do it is to not do it. The more you shake, the better you'll look, the more fun you'll have, and the more you'll be doing the moves like they're meant to be done. So shake, shake, shake. Shake, shake, shake. Shake yo' booty. Shake yo' boooooty!
- If you think you're doing a move that can't incorporate a bit of a hip swivel or booty shake, think again. There is a sexiness at the core of Zumba, for sure. Let yours out!
Add your own flair & flavor. You could be reserved about the moves, you could do the moves exactly like your instructor is doing, or you could do it your own way -- the way you're best at, the way that gives you the most satisfaction, the way that you enjoy the most. And if you do, you'll burn way more calories going for it. Is it for fitness or pleasure that you're rocking out? Who knows!
- And once you have the moves down, adding your own flair, your energy will add to the dynamic of the class. The more people who are taking the leap, truly letting loose, the better it'll be. You'll all be able to feed off of each others' buzzes! Now that's a high quality workout!
Other Stuff for an Awesome Zumba Experience
- We said it before, but we'll say it again, Grab one of those unbreakable water bottles from your cabinet (we know you have dozens, just like we do) and fill it up with water, you'll need it during class. If you forget, we've got bottled water you may purchase.
- Bring a towel if you're one who likes to wipe the sweat, I mean the liquid awesome, away while you workout.
- Zumba Toning anyone? If you've got a pair of Toning Sticks go ahead and bring them. We have a limited number available for use at the studio. Want a pair to call your very own? We've got you covered - 1lb green and 2.5lb purple Toning Sticks may be purchased at Tranzend.