- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Purpose: To improve the eye’s ability to make text clear when reading quickly and easily. Materials: Eye patch Flipper (provided in therapy) Reading material Procedure:
1. Cover one eye with the eye patch. Open your book (or take out the reading material your therapist gave you).
2. Hold the flipper on either the plus (+) or minus (-) side over your eyes and read a sentence from your reading material. Make sure that you are able to get the text completely clear before you read the sentence.
3. Flip the flipper over to the other side so that you are looking through the other lens. Read another sentence. Again, make sure that you get the image all the way clear.
4. Continue flipping back and forth with each sentence, until you have completed half of your time for this activity.
5. Switch your patch to the other eye and repeat this activity with the other eye.
NOTE: You should either be doing patched flipper reading or red/green flipper reading. Under no circumstance should any patient be doing flipper reading with neither implement. If you are uncertain of which method you were given, double check the home instructions from your therapist or call WAVTC to check.